Monday, July 8, 2013

Lentil Walnut Burgers with Cilantro Cream Sauce


Summer means sunshine and sandwiches to me! I love burgers and fries, but as a vegetarian, that means something a little different than the all American beef version. I love veggie burgers, with veggies, nuts, grains, what have you. I don't like the burgers that are supposed to taste like meat, but are made with soy. I don't like meat, why would I want to eat a fake version of it?




I decided one weekend to make my friend Anna's recipe for Lentil Walnut Burgers, because they are really good, and the Cilantro Cream Sauce makes them seem a little more elegant than with catsup and mustard, both of which I also love, but sometimes, it's nice to switch things up!

The burgers were really easy to make and have a nice flavor, with the coriander and cumin...I love cumin. Note, as the recipe calls for bread crumbs I used Udi's gluten-free, so that my gluten-free friends know this is something they can make too (I am sure there is a better substitute, but I am not that dedicated, sorry)! The image above is the bun-less version, great for those of you trying to eat low carb (just better skip the fries then too).

Hope you find the meal as tasty as I did, even if you're not a vegetarian!



Anna's Recipe: (I doubled it and it fed 5 people)

Burgers

3/4 c toasted walnuts, cooled
1/3 c plain dried bread crumbs (I just toasted 2 pieces of gluten free bread and added it to the blender)
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander (I used toasted coriander)
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
coarse ground salt and pepper
3/4 lentils cooked, drained, cooled
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large egg

Directions: Combine all but last three ingredients in a food processor. Add remaining ingredients, chop coarsely to leave some lentils whole.

Divide mixture into balls, 4 is assumed, and flatten them onto a not stick griddle. Cook for about 8-10 min per side on medium-low heat, until crisp and brown.

Yogurt Cilantro Sauce

3/4 c plain yogurt
2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
1 tbsp lemon juice
coarse salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.


via cooking with a stud, http://www.cookingwithastud.com/2013/07/lentil-walnut-burgers-with-cilantro.html




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 3453228

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...