Monday, May 13, 2013

Spring Rolls




Jack and I got home late one night, hungry. I wanted something healthy, but tasty, of course! After a brief survey of the fridge, I learned we had plenty of vegetables. Tired of stir fry, I decided to make spring rolls, as we seem to always have the wrappers on hand. This is for you, my gluten free, low carb friends!




I chopped a zucchini, half a large sweet potato, a carrot and a tablespoon of fresh ginger. In a pan, Jack started the sweet potatoes and carrots in olive oil with ginger. Next he added the zucchini when the root veggies were softer, letting the ginger meld in with all of the veggies.




Mom was leaving town and asked us to use the mung bean sprouts she'd been growing, so we added those and fresh spinach to the rice paper wrappers to complete the meal. The spinach added a nice fresh touch. We had two orange veggies, and two greens ones - the more color in a vegetable, the more nutrients it probably has, so I am trying hard to get more diversity into each meal.


I love cooked veggies along side almost all "brown sauces" so immediately knew that hoison sauce was a perfect compliment to the veggies, after all, it's a spring roll classic sauce in my house. I was pleasantly surprised on how well the sweetness of the hoisin sauce worked with the zest of the ginger, definitely worth future experimentation.


Bonus recipe idea:

Later that week, Jack and I went over to our friend's house for dinner, and hostess Annalisa made spring rolls. We really liked the twist she put on it, fresh vegetables, with a spicy peanut sauce for dipping. She used avocado, cucumbers, ribbon cut carrots and grilled tofu. The combination was light, yet satisfying. (Sorry, no pictures from that meal).

This inspired me, to try some fresh veggies in a roll for myself that next week. I used raw carrots, an avocado, and spinach as that was what I had on hand. I promise, this summer, I will become more experimental in my spring rolls, Annalisa as my inspiration, and bring you all more gluten free, healthy options.









via cooking with a stud, http://www.cookingwithastud.com/2013/05/spring-rolls.html




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 3453228

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...