Sunday, August 11, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies


Since I have been baking so many pies, and more pies. I thought I should probably switch things up to keep you interested, and to try something new myself...hand pies.

My mom's friend Elizabeth, conveniently the mother of my friend AnnaLisa shared her organic rhubarb with us this summer. I love rhubarb and last year bought it since mom's didn't grow well, so I'm thrilled to have access to more home grown rhubarb than I know what to do with! I think I have already made two traditional strawberry rhubarb pies?

Elizabeth sent me a link to recipes incorporating rhubarb, thanks to NPR's excitement for the treat I had a selection of great recipes. I saw the hand pies and was instantly sold, and made the pies that night!


How gorgeous is this rhubarb? It's like pink celery with a tangy twist.

The recipe was very simple, though I didn't have one of the ingredients on hand, whole wheat pastry flour. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Whole wheat pastry flour, it turns out, is a whole grain flour, with less protein, therefore creating a texture which is more fine that traditional flour. Thankfully, Jack picked some up for me at the grocery on his way out to sample the treats, and I was able to make the rec ipe exactly.


I was surprised that the dough wasn't more like a traditional pie crust, first of course, using the pastry flour and second, olive oil instead of butter? The dough texture was a bit coarser and drier than I am used to with in a traditional pie crust, but it was workable. I just portioned out the dough balls by hand and rolled away.

The pies were pretty adorable. The low sugar filling was divine, and there was enough left over for us to sample while t he pies cooked. The dough absorbed a lot of the moisture from the fruit filling, which left the inside a bit sticky and not as crispy as I hoped for. The lack of butter left out the flaky texture of a traditional pie crust, but the flavor was nice. I might have to test this recipe out with a traditional pie crust since it's so hard to beat!



Makes about 12 pies

Crust

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 to 5 tablespoons ice water

Filling

2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
3 ribs rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch


via cooking with a stud, http://www.cookingwithastud.com/2013/08/strawberry-rhubarb-hand-pies.html




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 3453228

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...